Well –that’s what the L’s asked me last weekend so I decided to ask them right back.
Loghlen answered ‘gravity’ which I thought was pretty cool. Lukie said it’s very very hot in there and Leah said ‘apple’. Apple! –what a great idea to help us talk more about our planet. So……..
1. Mommy, Lukie and Leah cut an apple in half.
2. Then Loghlen measured the diameter of the apple. It was 2.5 inches. This is just like the equator – an imaginary line running through the center of the earth equidistant from the North Pole and the South Pole. It divides the Earth into a top half and a bottom half known as the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere.
3. Then we all colored the core of the apple. Just like the apple our earth has a core too. In fact the earth has an outer core and an inner core. Look at the great coloring job we did.
4. Next we measured the apple’s flesh – the distance from the outer core to the skin of the apple. This is just like the earth’s mantle.
5. Finally we measured the skin of the apple as accurately was we could (it was about one tenth of an inch). This is just like the earth’s crust.
When we finished the 3 L’s all colored the Science With Me! What’s inside the Earth? coloring sheet.
See Loghlen’s!! He did a nice job–especially those lovely blue oceans.